Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My thoughts on Excel

I have to say, I'm not a HUGE Excel fan. (My husband is though - so hopefully he makes up enough for both of us!) Excel has always intimidated me because of all the formulas and such. Too close to MATH, I guess - ugh!

But this week - using Excel for Gradebook was really fun. I can totally see me utilizing Excel for this reason in the classroom. I know some districts have their own grading software, but if I'm left to my own devices - I'll definitely keep this week's model for reference!

I can see how spreadsheets are useful, and certainly much more effective than turning to the trusty calculator for everything. Spreadsheets can't be beat when you need to calculate grades, test averages, or test scores for 30 students at a time. Spreadsheets are typically used for storing, calculating, and presenting information. I think this pretty much covers what I'd use them for. For others (like my husband;)I know they use them for more extensive things.

I'm thrilled I made it through Excel week without pulling my hair out! I was dreading it...But it was really great!

1 comment: