Thursday, March 4, 2010

Technology in the Classroom

In a perfect world, I think the technology used in the classroom should most definitely run parallel to the technology that students are using in their day-to-day life. How better to relate to them than to meet them right where they are? For most, this means being "up" on the latest technology and gadgets: iChat, Skype, podcasts, and a myriad of other multimedia and hypermedia capabilities.

Unfortunately, what is "ideal" and what is realistic are often not one and the same. We are more likely to find a close parallel in exclusive private schools or in districts that have enough resources to cover the expense that comes along with the latest technology. I'm encouraged, though, that more and more classrooms are being equipped for media. Computers and smartboards should be mandatory in ALL classrooms;)

Another important concern that comes along with technology is this: does it add TO the instruction or is it merely another distraction. I think there is a fine line and it will probably take some "trial and error" to get the balance right. Again - ideally - instant chat and messaging should be only material-related and NOT used for anything else. Controlling that, however, and setting proper boundaries would probably be challenging. My hope is that more and more educational programs for curriculum will have "built-in" features, such as chat, that will - both - intrigue the students AND enhance the learning process.

I think that asynchronous, text-based communication has many interesting qualities that would, at times, be more effective than synchronous, face-to-face communication. This type is good for projects where the instructor needs to be readily available for a large group of students at once. It is also beneficial for those students who thrive better through written communication rather than verbal. However, I don't think that anything can totally replace face-to-face instruction!

All technology - whether it be podcasts or video games - have their proper place and time. I think that podcasts are great in small doses. They will interest some students and bore others to tears. By using it as ONE way of reaching these type of learners, it can enhance the learning process. Just as with video games (which can be beneficial for building up certain learning centers in the brain) they should be limited and closely supervised.

Technolog is awesome, and it's not going anywhere. It will only become more and more prevalent, including inside the classroom. The challenge will be to effectively harness it and use it to its highest potential without compromising the central thing: the relationship between the teacher and students.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your enthusiam of technology. I wish I was just as excited. For me, it is stressful to think about all the new technology that is now and what will become available in the future. I know as a future teacher that I must do all I can to stay current but it will come at a cost. I agree with your statement about the most important thing: the relationship between the teacher and the student. That is the most important thing in my opinion, can we communicate with the students that is optimal for learning. You have a good attitude about teaching with technology, and I hope it works out for all of us future teachers.

    ReplyDelete